Friday, June 28, 2024


June 28, 2024: Quick Update

Yesterday morning, I had my monthly visit with Dr. Vandermolen to get the results of my recent MRI, all was clear, thank goodness and which was to be expected (this MRI was of my tailbone and spine to see why my leg has been going numb when I fly - more to come once I see a back doctor next week).  

When I had told my parents the good news (they were of course happy too), my dad then told me that a family friend had passed away yesterday morning from cancer.  I grew up watching him play hockey with my dad and I remember his big smile, his friendly disposition and that he was always cursing!  He was very religious and his cancer was terminal and he knew it, so praying was really important to him.  When I got sick he’d message me all the time, telling me how proud he was of me, that I was doing great and that when I was done with treatment we’d get together and pray. I was supposed to go visit him with my dad a couple weeks ago, as his doctor had moved him to hospice because his treatments had stopped working. Unfortunately I got sick and could not go, but my dad was able to visit him and send a hug from me and to thank him for always praying for me. My dad told him how well I’ve been doing and he cried tears of joy; he knew his time was coming to an end but he was happy for our family and me that I was doing so well.  

Days like yesterday remind me how this disease can be full of so much sadness but then also so much joy.  I’m sad that life can be taken from you in the blink of an eye (even if you don’t have cancer), that cancer is one hell of a disease and that we lost a good guy yesterday. But, while I let the sadness settle, I also live in the happiness. Happy my MRI was clear, that my tumor marker continues to remain normal and that I am alive.  Mark’s cancer was very different than mine, but cancer is cancer, no matter what kind you have and it was a day full of highs and lows with this thing called 'cancer' that I’m just grateful to be in a good place.

Drink some beers, play some hockey and laugh a lot, Mark. Thank you for always cheering me on.

MRI 6.24.2024 - my hair is getting so long!


No comments:

Post a Comment

October & November 2024 Updates

This will be a recap of October to today.    Lots has been going on and we’ve been incredibly busy.    The format of this is going to be a b...