Following along with the topic of Gene history, testing, and its role in our current research for breast cancer, we continue our chat with Lauren Yerkes and her breast cancer journey from our February newsletter. |
Lauren's call for help is not for herself, at this point, but for others who may walk the same cancer journey she was on. Her call for help is for the many who are diagnosed with breast cancer before the age deemed by insurance companies to get the scans and procedures needed to save lives. Lauren's own struggle with getting her first mammogram, began at the age of 37 because she wasn't yet 40 (recommended age to start mammograms for women without a history of breast cancer) even though she felt a lump. She was told by a doctor and radiologist that she shouldn't worry especially since she didn't have any family history of breast cancer. Her mammogram was clear, ultrasound was clear, and the radiologist didn't feel what Lauren felt. Lauren was so sure there was something more going on and couldn't get the thought out of her mind. Four months later she woke up to nipple discharge, but once again nothing was showing in imaging. It wasn't until the radiologist felt what she was feeling and did a biopsy did she find out she had breast cancer. Lauren's amazing breast surgeon asked her if she came from a European decent, nothing she had thought of before. She did a blood test for genetic testing where she found out she is a BRCA carrier. This was when Lauren's sharp mind started to further question the rules set forth in the health industry for genetic testing, mammograms and more when a woman doesn't fit the criteria of getting a mammogram or being tested. "At no point in my years as an adult did any doctor ask me about my family history or question if I was of European decent, despite filling out paper forms that asked my history," shared Lauren. She asked herself, "Why isn't it an option for every person to get a blood panel at the age of 18 or 21 to determine if they are a carrier of certain genetic mutations? We can vote at 18, drink alcohol at 21, but we can never know how to live a long and healthy life?" Frustrated, Lauren shared that had she known in her early 20's that her chances of getting cancer were so high, she would have been put on screening sooner and would have started to reevaluate her own health to prevent cancer from forming in her own body. "They say knowledge is power and I wholeheartedly believe that to be true. If someone had told me prior to April 7, 2022, that I would get cancer, I would have been as proactive as possible to do everything I could to try to prevent it from forming," said Lauren. She didn't want others to go through what she did if they could avoid it. Cancer does not know your age...but if you have preventative measures to avoid it wouldn't that be the best route? "I promised myself that I would educate others on the things to watch for, the importance of fighting for yourself and to give back to others who were newly diagnosed and maybe make them feel a little less scared or give them a glimmer of hope," promised Lauren. Chris (Lauren's husband) and Lauren knew they wanted to pave the way for others, even if they were only able to help one person...fast forward and they have helped several women with their outreach. They have started their outreach to various executives at health insurance companies and government agencies asking them to require that genetic testing be done (or at least offer it) at their annual physical. "I've emailed over 30 individuals, a few bounce backs, and I've gotten two responses," shared Lauren. In her follow up emails, she has included the most recent news about the increase in cancer diagnosis for individuals under the age of 40, with breast cancer being the second most common cancer. Lauren and Chris are not discouraged, they will continue with their persistency, determination, and time...their hope is it will change. "Everyone wants to have the choice to take care of their own bodies, and I believe we should have the control to choose if we want to try to reduce our chances of getting cancer, especially if we learn we have genetic mutations," stated Lauren from experience. |
Facts that Chris and Lauren learned and found that most people don't know about BRCA:
|
If you would like to follow Chris and Lauren in their continued focus to educate, promote early detection, and their outreach to medical professionals and politicians who have the power to make the changes for age limits to determine if genetic mutations exist please follow them here: |
Hereditary breast cancer is caused by genetic mutations passed down from your parents. Five to 10% of breast cancer cases are caused by inherited gene mutations. Let's say hello to Lauren's mother, Rochelle, and walk with her through her journey surrounding breast cancer. |
As told by Rochelle: I am an Ashkenazi Jewish woman, and I had never heard of the gene or an increased breast cancer risk. I have always kept up with my health and I am a member of temple sisterhood groups. How it began... I write this first as a mother of a daughter diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 37. I unknowingly had the BRCA gene and passed it on to my daughter, Lauren; I was 60 years old. With Lauren's diagnosis, my successful, beautiful, fiercely independent daughter had a problem I couldn't fix. I had never been this heartbroken and scared. What we learned... Lauren's diagnosis has potentially saved the lives of other family members. Early on we learned that Lauren's cancer had a genetic component, BRCA2. With all Lauren was going through, she immediately encouraged our family to speak to their physicians regarding genetic testing. Through the genetic testing it was determined that I was the carrier of the gene passed down from my father. It was also determined that one of my brothers was also a BRCA carrier. What we did... I will start with my brother who we learned will now be at a higher risk for prostate, breast, and pancreatic cancer due to the results of genetic testing. He now gets routine checks, and his young daughters will soon receive genetic testing. As for myself, early on, it was determined through increased screening that although I was a carrier with increased risks, I showed no sign of cancer. With this knowledge, my priority continued to be Lauren's battle. Fast forward and where we are now... Lauren is cancer free and using all her powers to get the word out about the importance of genetic testing! I have since had prophylactic (elective) surgeries, a full hysterectomy and bilateral mastectomy. Due to the results of the genetic testing and elective surgery my risks of developing breast or ovarian cancer have been reduced by 90%. |
Rochelle and Lauren hope that with their story others will be proactive in genetic testing and have the benefit of making life saving choices before a cancer diagnosis. |
Thank you for letting us share your story. Your passion and strength are encouraging to all!!
ReplyDelete