Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Yerkes, at your service.

Lesson #2: Service. 

Plus a few updates. 

If you know me well enough you know I am a people pleaser, a service person, someone who is always trying to make someone else happy. I didn’t think I’d be able to do that once diagnosed - I wouldn’t have the energy to bake for people, to provide the level of support and share ideas at work that I’ve always loved, and most importantly to be able to truly do everything at home to help my husband. Which also, side note, my husband is the same (we both get this trait from our wonderful mothers) and aim to please.

What I’ve learned though through countless conversations, phone calls, and text messages is that I am still a service person, still giving to people but now in a new way. A way that is what I think more impactful, deeper and ultimately making me more proud than mastering that perfect cookie, being the best boss/employee or being the wife that cooks, does the laundry, makes sure the fridge is stocked or we have things to do on the weekends.

The messages and calls I’ve received have shown me that I am giving in other ways right now.

- You make me/us so proud. 
- You are my hero.
- You’ve inspired me to take more pictures, to embrace the day, to go to the doctors.
- You are teaching me (and my kids) to be brave and strong.
- You’ve reminded me that happiness is something you create, it doesn’t happen to you.
- I am so lucky to be in your life.
- I think about you all the time.

I could go on and I don’t share this to brag, that’s not my nature and those that know me know I don’t brag, but I share to explain how someone whose focused so much on servicing others through tangible things that now my intangible actions are impactful and for that I am really fucking (excuse my French) proud.  I’ve always wanted to make a difference in someone’s life, whether that be personally or professionally and with these messages I feel like I am doing just that.  I want to be someone’s hero, to make them proud of themselves or someone else and to inspire them to be strong.  I am not here to make change with things I can’t control (that’s the doctors job right now) I’m here to make change in how I approach my life and those that I touch on a daily basis. To appreciate the little things, to make you value your relationships and to cherish your health, and lastly to remind you that there is always a light at the end of every tunnel. 

And also….what I love about most of this is that these messages don’t just stop with me, they often times are about Chris too! People continue to tell me how strong he is, how articulate he is when explaining all of this medical jargon that they feel like they are apart of our journey and understand what is happening, how inspiring he is with how he brings laughter to the their day and perseveres as a supportive and loving husband. This is Chris, he wants to help, wants to educate, wants to laugh and make others laugh. 

We are The Yerkes, at your service ☺️.

So this is my lesson for the day, I am still servicing, but in other ways.  I learn something new everyday about myself, my cancer, life, relationships, etc and I didn’t think my first lesson on Happiness would continue to spark so many other learnings that would help me to think about things beyond one instance, but it has and I hope that it continues so I can keep sharing. Lesson #3 is already cultivating and I’ll share once I have all the facts, but it’s purely that…factual and hopefully insightful.

And updates regarding treatment and side effects. I have completed #2 of 12 with my weekly meds! We met with Dr. Vandermolen yesterday as well. He did a brief check on my lymph nodes, legs (to make sure there is no swelling), side effect check/questions answered and sent me upstairs for my infusion. 

1. Weekly meds so far seem to be much easier to manage. 
2. Sleeping is still a challenge and I’ve now hit pre-menopause, which we knew would happen, so the night sweats are suuuper fun.
3. Nausea is much better, I had one day of it last week vs 5-7 days of it on the previous meds.
4. Metallic tastes are more apparent with these meds, thanks to the Carboplatin.
5. The bone pain I experienced late last week was not due to the Newlasta shot I would receive during the previous meds but is now due to a side effect of Taxol and should subside after a few treatments as my body gets used to it. This one seems so minor but when I take a shower, want a hug or get the smallest embrace, my shoulder blades and even through my jaw, its extremely sensitive. 
6. The feeling of heavy legs is a side effect of these new meds, I’m just being cautious especially when getting up and down stairs so as not to fall.

7. I can get a water pick (yahoo!) since I can’t floss my teeth.
8. As each week progresses they’ll continue to monitor my white blood cells and my ANC to make sure I don’t hit neutropenia. If anything drops below the norm this will delay my treatment and also create more trips up to Keck for blood checks. 

That’s it for now! We’ll update again soon.  Lots of love, Lauren

OMG and, I wanted to share because it made me a happy girl this weekend! We spent the evening at my sister and brother in laws house on Saturday and our niece and nephew made me Happy (lesson #1 captured). You can’t tell in this picture but my head is covered in blonde baby hairs that don’t grow past maybe 1/4”. Chris and my sister have now called me Baby Bird. Kane also told me, ‘hey, put your hair back on lady’ 😂, thanks Bubba for the laugh! And both kids enjoyed rubbing my head and taking my head scarf and asking if they could mimic being bald 😜, being a cowboy, a bank robber, a rockstar, etc. 



2 comments:

  1. You don’t have to mimic being a superstar my love. You definitely ARE one! Sending love and positive thoughts to you and Chris. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just keep showing me why you're my hero... both of you amaze me. I love you both... Dad

    ReplyDelete

October & November 2024 Updates

This will be a recap of October to today.    Lots has been going on and we’ve been incredibly busy.    The format of this is going to be a b...