Good morning!
Just a few updates for the week. Yesterday (Tuesday, 1 day post 1st round of chemo) was not too bad. I woke up feeling a little sore in my legs and just felt tired. Took a few naps throughout the day, worked a little and got in some coloring. The nausea hasn’t been too bad, but as soon as I feel anything I pop a pill so it doesn’t get worse. I’ve been trying to eat small meals throughout the day, mostly just feel like eating chicken, carbs and fruit. I’m hoping today I can try to layer in veggies - but just trying out different foods to see how they make me feel. I can already tell eggs aren’t going to be my friend during this, the thought of it makes my stomach turn!
We got some good updates on my test results yesterday!
- PET scan, the one that would tell us if there is any additional spread, came back clear! The only thing that showed was the existing tumor we know about in my left breast. They saw something in 1 lymph node, but it didn’t come out as cancerous and they think it’s damage to a lymph node from the biopsy I had on April 1. When I go in for surgery they will proactively remove 1-2 lymph nodes anyways just to test them again. I’ll also have another PET scan after a few treatments or at the end of my treatments, but overall very positive news.
- MUGA scan, this was the one that looked at my heart. I scored a 70.6%, average is 50-60%, so I scored much higher which means I have a good strong heart!
- Genetic testing, the remainder of my testing came back. I don’t think we’ve touched on this too much, but here is some background. The genetic testing was done as one of my first tests (through a blood draw) to see what other types of mutations I could be susceptible to. Part of the results came back about 3 weeks ago and showed that I could get other types of breast cancers, ovarian cancer, melanoma, pancreatic cancer and prostate cancer - well, I don’t have a prostate so we can quickly rule that one out! The others will be addressed through different preventative measures. Most likely a double mastectomy (which would happen 1 month after chemo finishes), a hysterectomy (probably before I turn 45) and then the other 2 I’ll continue to wear my sunscreen and just make sure my mom and dad (hint, hint parents), don’t develop pancreatic cancer - this one is the least of the doctors worries overall. So the rest of the results came back yesterday and nothing else showed, so all in all good nothing else came from the testing. My sister, mom and dad will also do genetic testing in the coming months. Most likely this mutation stems from my mothers side as we are Ashkenazi Jews and this seems to be a mutation with those who have this genetic history. However, if you aren’t of Ashkenazi Jewish decent, you can still develop breast cancer. Crazy stat that no one talks about - 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime and 1 in 7 women will develop breast cancer in Orange County, CA. I only say this not to scare people but purely to get the word out - it’s significant and no one talks about it! My goal is purely to share and educate you, as this is quite significant!!
Yesterday I had a shot of neulasta which I’ll have every day after treatment. It helps to reproduce my white blood cells. It burned a little going in but no pain to my arm after. Apparently 2-3 days post shot I could experience bone pain, so will be monitoring that and taking Tylenol to alleviate any pain.
This morning I woke up around 1:30am feeling a little nauseous and was able to take a pill and fall back asleep. Woke up feeling pretty decent today, we’ll see how the remainder of the day treats me as they say day 3 (post treatment) are the worst for most people.
Just continuing to take each day as it comes. There’s still a long journey ahead and each day will be different, but so far been feeling ok. Just want to get back to a more consistent diet and be able to get some workouts in. Light walks have been the extent of my exercise, but it’s been 2 full days so trying to be good to myself.
Shout out to my husband. Holding down the house, our little kitty, all the doctors appts, his own job, all the family and friend questions and keeping me motivated and comfortable. Truly, my heart explodes for you more and more each day.
And to my parents, Chris’s parents, our siblings, thank you for being there for us these past few weeks. We love you!
And everyone who keeps checking on us, you lift our spirits and we greatly appreciate you!
All my love,
Lauren
Thanks so much for sharing LY. I love the pixie cut. Lifting up my thoughts and prayers for you and Chris. xoxo
ReplyDelete