Hi All,
Wanted to give everyone an update as to what is going on, bear with me as I’m trying to give some high-level medical cliff notes.
According to Lauren’s pathology from her biopsy and MRI report, it was confirmed that she has Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Doctors grade cancer in 3 metrics on a scale of 1 to 3 where 3 is the most severe. The metrics are 1). Glandular/Tubular Differentiation 2). Nuclear Pleomorphism & 3). Mitotic Rate (cell division). Lauren’s grade was 3 of 3 on every scale meaning it’s the most severe kind. Although it’s not the news we wanted to hear, there is a silver lining to it which I will get to later.
The surgeon that we met with today indicated that Lauren will have to go through chemotherapy for about 12 – 15 weeks. The actual start date of chemo will be dependent on the oncologist after they review the MRI and the pathology report from the biopsy, along with the genetic test that was conducted today, but it could be very soon. During chemo, they will monitor the tumor to see if it has shrunk before attempting a lumpectomy or mastectomy. Going back to Lauren’s cancer grade, the higher the number, the likelihood of chemo shrinking or the cancer being killed off is much greater than if she had a lower grade.
Again, I can’t thank everyone enough all the support you all have given to us during this, and I ask you to continue to give Lauren positive moral support. We are truly humbled.
No comments:
Post a Comment